Isle of Man Part Two

The next morning, we mowed through our beans on toast and rushed to go to the bus, but stopped when we saw that the hotel staff had kindly put our bikes out for us. We hadn’t asked and weren’t planning on riding to the bus stop, but we didn’t have time to mess with getting them put back, so we rode, and nervously attached our bikes to a parking barrier at the bus terminal. We rode southwest for about an hour. En route, a lady joined us in full mid-19th century costume. I decided she was going the same place as us, and was proven right as we left the bus with the woman in front of Cregneash Village. She disappeared, and Shane and I wandered a bit, looking at horses and sheep until the museum opened.

Cregneash Village

There wasn’t really much to look at. Only a few buildings and exhibits There was a video about the way people lived in the village a hundred years ago and more. We’re always happy when the employees at living history museums act like normal modern people and don’t try to put on an act. That makes Shane nervous. So, it was nice to just pop our heads in, see what there was to see, have a conversation about the weather and whatever spinning/weaving apparatus we see and move on to the next cottage. We found the lady from the bus spinning. She and I talked about fiber and knitting groups and then a Manx cat wandered in and climbed on her lap. She was the only Manx cat we saw on the Isle of Man, but she was super cute and friendly, so that was enough.


Manx cat 

We lunched at the museum cafe and walked back to the main town to catch the steam railcar back to Douglas. By this time, it had started raining quite a bit and we knew our bicycles were going to be soggy, but we got on another bus into Peel. The weather was miserable by the time we arrived, but we toured the dilapidated, overgrown castle, watched the sandcastle contest going on at the beach, and wandered around town.

Peel Sand Castles


The weather just got worse and worse as the afternoon progressed and riding the short distance from the bus to the hotel, we were nearly soaked through. We had a very mediocre dinner at the Hilton and reluctantly returned through the rain to our room.

In the morning, we got on our bikes and rode to the ferry terminal. It was a really funny feeling to ride my bicycle into the ferry as though I was a car. Both on the way there and back, the ferry employees had us board before the cars. It was almost like being in a parade. This time, the ferry actually left 15 minutes early. Awesome. This trip was going to be good. Or not.

Leaving Douglas


20 minutes in, Shane and I both started feeling very ill. The boat was rocking a lot and slapping down into the waves over and over. Shane is one who always gets motion sick, but I was the one who vomited. But I felt much better afterward and had recovered enough to ride home from the Dublin Port with plenty of energy.

I don’t think we’ll go back. At least, not for several years. But it was fascinating and picturesque and amusing in turns.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: